Steampunk pt. 2: RevolutionAugust 6, 2008
Between discussion and random inspiration, here and at Oyceter’s journal, here’s some things that came to mind.
You know, clunky gear robot soldiers. Cyborg Eunuchs. Though, the discussion at Oyceter’s has now inspired ideas for, you know, EH under the Empress Dowager during the Opium Wars, a 1920’s steampunk analogue, which would also be awesome.
2. An idea for Full Light, Full Steam, playing the first ship crewed entirely by members of one of Britain’s Colonies- and the uneasy situation of trying to serve your people while being a collaborator on some level to the colonizer. Whether we’re talking an HK ship fighting chinese space pirates or a ship with Gurka fighters, that’s pretty awesome.
3. And then, from FLFS, thinking about using it for an Avatar game. The Thematic Batteries work really well for highlighting the multiple issues each character faces, plus the Scrips reward mechanics, would work pretty well for the pacing.
To give examples of thematic batteries:
– I’m not ready to save the world
– Just a kid
– Crush on Katara
– Kicking sexism’s ass
– Don’t mess with my friends
– The fraying connections to my heritage, my people, and my mother
– Proving my manhood
– The Clever Buffoon
– Complicated Romances
– I don’t know how to connect with others
– I can take care of myself, I don’t need your help
– Can’t See! Remember?
– My Honor, My Destiny
– Rash and hardheaded
– Scars of my Past
– There for Zuko (because I wasn’t there for my son)
– Hedonistic Philosopher
– Disgraced General
Anyway, more geeking out later.